One mild laxative, considered to be safe to take during pregnancy, is Milk of Magnesia. Your doctor may also recommend taking a bulk-producing agent like Metamucil. Lastly, your doctor may suggest a stool softener, which contains docusate, to reduce constipation.
What will happen if you take a laxative while pregnant?
It is important to avoid using laxatives for long periods of time during pregnancy as this can lead to dehydration and unbalanced levels of salts and minerals in your body. Make sure you speak to your doctor or healthcare provider before taking any medicine in pregnancy.
Can laxatives cause birth defects?
Few studies have looked at the possible risks from using laxatives during pregnancy. However, the available studies show that when used in recommended doses, laxatives are not expected to increase the chance of birth defects.
What can I take to help me poop while pregnant?
Safe OTC Constipation Treatments to Use During Pregnancy
- Colace (docusate sodium)
- Fibercon (calcium polycarbophil)
- Metamucil (psyllium)
- Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide)
- Miralax (polyethylene glycol)
How can I relieve constipation instantly during pregnancy?
- Drink plenty of fluids. Water is a good choice. Prune juice also can help.
- Include physical activity in your daily routine. Being active can help prevent pregnancy constipation.
- Include more fiber in your diet. Choose high-fiber foods, such as fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains.
Can constipation cause miscarriage?
In particular, miscarriage is not caused by lifting, straining, working too hard, constipation, straining at the toilet, sex, eating spicy foods or taking normal exercise.
Can constipation hurt the baby during pregnancy?
Can Constipation Hurt the Baby During Pregnancy? Constipation during pregnancy is rarely dangerous. Even though it can make you feel uncomfortable, it won’t hurt your baby. Occasionally, though, constipation is a symptom of a serious health condition.
Can I take MiraLAX while pregnant?
Only a small amount of the drug is absorbed by your body, so MiraLAX is considered safe for short-term use during pregnancy. Actually, MiraLAX is often a first choice for doctors for easing constipation during pregnancy, according to one source in American Family Physician.
What softens stool quickly?
- Abdominal massage. Sometimes a stomach massage can help stimulate the bowels if they’re not moving enough to help stool digest more quickly. …
- Drink more water. Increasing water in the digestive tract can make stool softer and easier to pass. …
- Eat more fiber. …
- Avoid empty-calorie, low-fiber foods. …
Is Dulcolax laxative safe during pregnancy?
-Some experts state that this drug should be avoided during the first trimester, and excessive use is not recommended throughout pregnancy. -Some experts recommend that patients who are breastfeeding should consult with their healthcare provider prior to using this drug. Animal studies have not been reported.
Does apple juice help with constipation in pregnancy?
These juices contain sorbitol, which is a nonabsorbable carbohydrate. Juice can be a convenient remedy to try at home. Most pasteurized juices have the potential to help relieve constipation. But juices that contain naturally-occurring sorbitol, including prune, apple, and pear juices, may be more effective.